I’m in week three of making everything I sell “products.” Life is gonna be really, really good, really really quickly.
See, I decided to sell things instead of constantly look for jobs. I decided to do what I was getting good at: delivering Thesis Blogs, setting up people on social networking sites, and of course making sales videos, and creating tutorials for all of it. My velocity increased. This week, I did OK, I made progress…on the business.
But it feels like a business. By not trolling for any and all work, I feel less stress. I made MORE money doing it this way, for sure. I know what I’m delivering, when the project ends, how I’m getting paid, what my obligations are, and how to get better. We’re getting the design interview process down–we tried it about 8 ways for 8 blogs this week, and I think we’ve got some coherent thoughts.
But really, limiting things, saying it’s this, but not that, makes the world easier for everyone. Clients included.
- Semi Cusotm means I don’t have to charge as much. I can still make a killing.
- Semi Custom also means FAST: Inventory Turns are where it’s at.
- Semi Custom means I’m in charge. I’m selling a service, not selling anything else.
- Means I’m not begging for a job, I’m offering a product on a take it or leave it basis.
- Semi Custom also means DONE…RIGHT NOW.
- Semi Custom means I can create expectations that are crystal clear…then smash them.
So I give up a little bit of artistry? Meh. Who cares. Just go to test.genuinechis.com or test1.genuinechris.com (test2-12) to see what we’re whipping out and tell me that we’re not killing it right now. I decide what services I offer–and don’t offer. Makes me more powerful and tougher to deal with. I can also create things that smash the expectations this way…and that’s the ‘next step’ stuff that I’ve got.
Moved back into a standup desk today, my freakish intensity returned….and it’s time to get going.
I proved this week that the volume is there, now this COMING week I have to have sysyems. Goal is 10 blogs delivered, and 10 sales of guerrilla.me. Everything done on time.
Gotta bounce. Gonna go have salad, watch the kids play in the pool.